My wife sent me an email about a fire death thought to have been caused by a laptop computer the decedent was using in bed before he fell asleep. The theory was that the air intake for the cooling fan in the computer was blocked by bedcovers. Snopes could neither confirm nor deny the report so I ran it past a certified fire investigator, Doug Cranford, and our firm’s outside IT guy Barry Langley. Both confirmed that this is a real threat. Doug has seen it before and Barry has seen laptops that melted from being left on the bed.
Takehome message: don’t take your laptop to bed.
Cumberland School of Law, Cum Laude graduate Peter F. Burns practice areas include business litigation will contests, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, and other matters of complex civil litigation. Mr. Burns is licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court and is a Certified Alabama Mediator; Board-Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, and a member of national and state Legal associations.